Tuesday 9 August 2016

4 Things Working In Retail Has Taught Me

I've been working my little 8-hour florist weekend job for the last two years now, and it's fair to say I've had a good dose of working in retail. I mean, I've survived two Christmases, Valentine's Days and Mother's Days - I've experienced the full brunt of stressed, inconsiderate clientele. I work in a local supermarket, so nothing overly glamorous, but it's not been too bad at all. I mean, I wouldn't say I love working there, but I don't hate it either. While working there I've certainly realised a few things, so for today's post, I thought I'd share them with you...

PEOPLE ARE ODD
Now, I know this statement isn't overly revelatory but I couldn't write this post without including it. Yes, I understand that 'everyone is unique' etc but some of the things I've witnessed/been asked to do are definitely on the strange side. Take the other day, for example, I served a lady who paid for £90 of her £115 bill in pound coins and 50ps. NINETY POUNDS?! As you can well imagine, the customers queuing behind her weren't too happy, and neither was I when I realised this mountain of change was definitely not going to fit in my already-stuffed till.

15 MINUTE BREAKS ARE NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR ANYTHING
Aaaah, you're told it's time for your break and you're excited to get a cup of tea, a snack, check your phone and chat with your coworkers. Nope, by the time you've got upstairs, taken your phone out of your locker, sat down, it's time to get back to work again?! Why do those 15 minutes go faster than alllll the others?!

COLLEAGUES WILL GET YOUR NAME WRONG
Where I only work one day a week, and the staff turnover is pretty high, I always find myself being called the wrong name? One day it would be nice to have an entire shift being referred to as Becca. But, having been called Beth for the last 3 months it's kind of stuck, and I can't bring myself to correct them. It's waaaaay past the point of that and it looks as if I'll be sticking with 'Beth' for the duration.

IT'S EASIER TO SMILE AND NOD SOMETIMES
Some customers are rude. There are always going to be people who want to have a moan, whether it be valid or not.  But rather than cause a scene, it's much simpler to just smile and apologise, even if what they're saying is total baloney. Yes, this is the 'weaker' position and you'll hate taking it, but having a shouting match with an elderly lady, in the middle of the shop floor, is perhaps not the best for business. 

Have you ever worked in retail?
TWITTER - BLOGLOVIN

5 comments :

  1. aha I love this post, I had my name wrong on my name badge when I worked at Primark for two years, and yes to the 15 minute break thing! I just started a new job and I get two 15 breaks and it's so rubbish, retail does suck sometimes but it has it's rewarding side I suppose, working in a florists sounds so nice though xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, no one can imagine like it is!;) I've worked in retail (hats/shoes/clothes) and the experience is something no one can give or explain or share with you unless you haven't made such an experience by your own, it's real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 15 minutes is literally nothing! You can barely have a snack let alone really chill!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete